Athletics at Scripps Ranch High School provides a co-curricular opportunity for student-athletes who meet our school’s standards of academic and physical well being, to represent our school in athletic competition. It is our stated goal to use the various sport activities not only to develop the athletic skills and abilities of our student-athletes, but also to emphasize sportsmanship and life skills (self-discipline, endurance, perseverance, personal integrity, cooperation, to name a few). Athletics provides the avenue for which we develop these important areas of our student-athletes’ lives. Our athletes are to be committed to their teams, act with integrity, and compete with sportsmanship, character and pride at all times. Scripps Ranch High School athletics include but are not limited to the following characteristics:
- Student Athletes: Interscholastic athletics are a valuable part of the SRHS co-curricular experience. SRHS is a college preparatory high school; academics are the first and foremost priority for each student. While it may be challenging at times, those who participate in team competitions have a responsibility to manage their time and commit fully to their teams and obligations.
- Integrity: SRHS scholar athletes compete ethically, fairly and with respect to themselves, teammates, opponents, and officials. SRHS pursues CIF’s goal of Victory with Honor and dismisses a “win at all cost” attitude.
- Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship and fair play are invaluable components of the SRHS athletic programs. Coaches, athletes, and parents are expected to represent SRHS in a manner that is respectful of others, both on and off the field of play. It is the objective of all participants to develop and maintain the highest standards of courtesy, emotional discipline, and good sportsmanship.
- Character: Through participation in athletics, SRHS student athletes learn lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, goal setting, competition, overcoming adversity, and winning and losing with proper decorum. SRHS recognizes that the purpose of interscholastic athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well-being of the athlete. Participation in SRHS athletic programs is a privilege, not a right. To earn that privilege, student athletes must abide by the rules and they must conduct themselves, on and off the field, as positive role models who exemplify pride and character.
- Pride: Athletic competition provides a venue through which our community comes together in support of each individual athlete and team. Our athletic program commits to excellence and takes pride in its growth, participation and success. The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) has many policies and procedures governing interscholastic athletic events. CIF guidelines are kept on file in the Athletic Office and can be found on www.cifsds.org.
Scripps Ranch High School believes that an athletic program provides opportunities for students to acquire tools for lifelong personal growth. These tools include self discipline, responsibility, cooperation, ability to work as a team, perseverance, desire to play fair, and class in both winning and losing.